[Tfug] Patch panels

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 02:05:36 MST 2012

Hi Nick,

--- On Fri, 8/31/12, Nick Lopez <nick at the.glowingmonkey.org> wrote:

> Why not mount two 48-port panels vertically on the sides of the
> closet?

[Assuming you mean a 48 port panel for a standard equipment rack]

The problem is the width (in it's normal orientation) of the
panel.  If you mount it on a (side) wall in normal orientation,
it extends almost two feet *into* the closet.  This makes it hard
to put any equipment "behind" it (closer to the rear of the closet
so the patch panel remains accessible).

If you mount it in a rotated orientation (i.e., so that it is
"tall and skinny" instead of "short and fat"), then you regain
the usable closet *depth* -- but, now use almost two feet of
"height" (along the wall).

Recall that I am living in the bottom 2' of the closet (so the
rest of the closet can be used for "normal stuff").  This means
the connector for the "first" port would end up on the floor
in order to keep the "last" port under that 2' limit.

I'm too old to be on my hands and knees to plug/unplug cords!
<grin>

(It also would interfere with the AC power outlet located at
the typical ~12-14" above the floor)

> Maybe with 45 degree ports for easy of access. Your normal 2/3U
> wall brackets might need a little support on the bottom when
> mounted vertically but it should work, and it'll be a nice
> symmetrical cascade
> of cable down to the patch panels, then they can remerge
> into a waterfall of patches into the switch.
>
> BTW, 50-60 drops is a hell of a lot for a house, I'm only up
> to 8 for far counting coax as well, and a USB,

I've outfitted damn near everything in the house for automation,
media, voice, etc.  For example, there are four separate drops in
the living room -- one in each corner.  This allows the TV
to be located in any corner and still provides convenient access
to the network drop (so I can serve up video over the network).
The corner(s) that aren't used can feed "network speakers"
to reproduce the sound for the video being watched, etc.

Each bedroom has two drops as you never know where the bed
is likely to end up located.  You'd want a drop near the
bed for a "internet radio"; or, near a desk (for a laptop
or PC); and, seems like everyone has a TV in their bedroom
nowadays...

There's one on each "corner" of the kitchen counter (U shaped
work surface) for a "radio", small TV, phone or laptop.

Three in the family room (for reasons similar to the living
room).  And one on the back porch (so you can sit out there
and watch TV, listen to music or use a laptop).

These mentioned so far are just "uncomitted drops" -- a connector
in a wall plate.  Other drops have dedicated uses -- specific
hardware sitting on the other end:

There are two on each corner of the house (outside) for PTZ
cameras.  And, one at the front door to see who's knocking.

There is a drop on the wall (eye level) by each of the front
and rear entryways that serves a "kiosk" (see other post) through
which the user can interact with the house.  Another kiosk is
similarly mounted on the wall to the bedrooms.

There's a drop for the HVAC controller (which has to run regardless
of whether or not the network and other automation is operational).
A drop for the alarm system.

There is a drop above the kitchen sink for a "network speaker pair"
located behind the valence (sp?), there.  And, two more drops on
the opposite wall for a pair of wall mounted speakers.  Two more
drops service network speakers in the family room.

There's a drop in the store room (which, ultimately, will become
my equipment room once I get heat/cooling in there).  There's a
drop in the garage that handles the garage door opener, water
softener, freezer, etc.  There's a drop at my RG6Q distribution
point (so I can put a smart distribution amplifier and antenna
controller there).  There's a drop that feeds my wireless access
point.

Of course, some of these drops feed secondary switches that
service the devices clustered in particular locations (e.g.,
there are 16 nodes in the office, alone, that never see that
"distribution closet").

[I've probably forgotten some but you get the point...]

> but I do have all my
> network equipment mounted on plywood in the laundry room.

The problem with this house is there are very few "hiding places"
where you can put kit without exposing it to environmental
extremes -- yet still accessible.  E.g., the laundry room is
"finished living space".  The garage is far too hot for any kit
even with the insulated garage door, etc.

I miss basements!!  :-/

--don