[Tfug] Tablets

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 18:39:19 MST 2012

Hi John,

--- On Mon, 8/27/12, John Kiniston <johnkiniston at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you should still be able to get the
> sources and toolchains out of their wiki, A quick look pulls up:
>
> http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Hacking_Linux_for_chumby

OK.

> If anything is missing contact their support, Duane is
> watching it still and is good about stuff.
>
> Chumby stopped making devices so all that's left is the
> used ones and questions as to when the devices are all going
> to stop working.

"Stop working" as in *break*?  Or, stop working as in
having a dependence on a service that may not be eternally
available?

> I've got a Chumby One (3.5 Inch Cube) on my nightstand
> as the worlds best alarm clock and radio.

No, the world's best alarm clock is waking up when your body wants
you to do so -- no sooner!  ;-)

> Inside they look like this: http://adafruit.com/products/278

Ah, I've been reading these posts and web pages and confusing myself!
These are *different* devices!  E.g., the processor in the Insignia
device is more capable than this predecessor (?)

I see 450MHz, 64MB... then 800MHz, 128MB, etc.  OK, I think I've
got it sorted out, now  <:-(

> They sold the boards separate for a while like that to
> encourage hacking. I have seen people hack them into robots
> and onto TV platforms.
>
> It's a resistive screen so it's not the most precise
> input, But so are the cheap Android tablets from China.

Unless they've done something brain-damaged in the driver, that
should still give you several thousand points on each of the X and
Y axis and a reasonably quick update rate.  Can't see how that
would be a real problem (?)  I will have to try to relocate the
"complaint" I found previously and see if there was any more detail
available.

And, probably buy one and play with it.  Easier than speculating...

Thanx!
--don