[Tfug] Tablets

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 18:43:09 MST 2012

Your requirements make this sound like a "roll your own," project to me:

Since you need a tablet you can root. You can find a good list on
cyanogenmod.com, but then you might have to run cyanogenmod and that might
not be what you're looking for. Ubuntu for tablets might be a better way to
go:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/ubuntu-12-04-firmware-released-for-smartq-t20-tablet

I doubt any device listed there or the smartq tablet has wired Ethernet, so
yes you'd probably have to use USB to Ethernet.

Actually, one thing that came to mind when I read your requirements is the
much talked about Raspberry Pi. But it appears to not support PoE. However,
see: [
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/715/how-do-i-modify-my-raspberry-pi-to-be-powered-over-poe
]

The answer given there looks like an option you might be able to use with
any tablet+USB-Ethernet combination you choose as well.

Zack