[Tfug] VoIP/PSTN bridges (?)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 10:52:09 MST 2012

Hi,

Not sure of proper terminology here so I'll just describe what I
want -- and hope someone can tell me what i *really* need (and
why I can't have it!  :-/ )

I want to run one or two POTS lines up to the house.  Then, interface
to the so that a machine (computer) can:
- detect ring
- decode CID
- go on/off hook
- digitize incoming audio
- "analogize" outgoing digital stream
- decode call progress tones (even if I have to do that in software)
I.e., DAA plus suitable DAC and ADC (plus FCC stamp of approval)

Of course, it would be nice if the device was capable enough
that it could also act as an analog modem, FAX transceiver, etc.
(i.e., put a DSP in the box).

One possible way of doing this is with a soft-modem, etc.

But, that sort of solution typically requires lots of *closed*
software that:
- leaves me at the mercy of the manufacturer (bugs/support)
- may not support all the functionality I desire
- invariably expects to run on a specific host platform!

Ideally, I *think* I would prefer a box with an RJ11 on one
side and an RJ45 on the other  ;)

*ALSO*, I want the inverse functionality in another box.  I.e.,
something that lets a machine (computer) "look like" a CO
(BORSCHT).

Actually, *two* of each of these.

Nowadays, something like the first device would be used to
connect a VoIP PBX to the PSTN.  Something like the second device
would be used to connect a VoIP PBX to a traditional station set.
(Though I won't add the VoIP compatibility requirement to the
mix as I can work around that).

- What are each of these devices/functionalities called?
- What likely products should I investigate?  (size, cost)

Thx,
--don