[Tfug] Patch panels

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 21:04:43 MST 2012

Hi,

I have all of my network drops in a closet off the kitchen.
Currently, they just exit the wall via a crude hole cut in
the drywall and connect to the switch, there.  I think there
are 50 or 60 runs, total (data only).

I plan on mounting a patch panel there to dress things up
and make some order out of this tangle of cable.

The physical space (and location) places some limitations
on how I do this, though.  E.g., a panel for a standard
equipment rack is far too wide.  OTOH, *half* (width)
would be just about perfect!

So, (being obsessed with symmetry :< ) I figure I can put
a small panel on one side (wall) of the closet and a
similar panel on the other side.  (closet is like 3 feet
wide so this isn't a huge difference)  This also tends
to reduce the mass of cables coming into the switch from
one single direction.

As well as stroking my symmetry obsession  :>

To that end, I think I can *cut* the 96 port panel that I
have in half.  Take one half and mount it on the left wall
and the other directly opposite it on the right wall.

The panel appears as four rows of two groups of twelve ports.
Each row is actually implemented as a single entity -- four
PCB's.  But, there should be no foils in the gap between the
"left group of 12" and the "right group of 12" on each board.
Some minor issues with mounting hardware but I can probably
drill some new mounting holes in the PCBs and it'll be as
stiff as ever.

The front plate is a bigger issue as it is a typical 19" unit.
Cutting *it* in half would leave me with two useless front plates.
So, I'll probably have to cut something out of a sheet of aluminum
or, perhaps, lexan (getting those nice square edges on the holes
through which the connectors protrude without a set of chassis
punches is a chore!)

But, that leaves me with some flexibility regarding mounting
and cosmetics!

No *need* to make them look like they are intended for a standard
rack -- since they obviously aren't!  And, also need to be able
to remove them to service the connections within.

I think making the assembly NEEDLESSY protrude into the closet
(e.g., giving the assembly some depth and mounting it on the
surface of the wall) is silly.  Yet, making it completely
flush with the wall also seems "wrong" (looking).

So, make the underside (inside) of the panel sit on the outside
of the wall in much the same way that a "wall plate" for a
switch or an electric outlet would?  And, to make it easily
removable, frame the hole in the drywall so that the plate
mounts to something substantive (i.e., not gypsum!)?

Suggestions as to anything else I might want to consider?
Or, materials that would be appropriate to fabricate same?
Any other comments regarding cable dressing, etc.?

Thx,
--don