[Tfug] Nice score at WorldCare..

Bowie Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Wed Sep 21 02:34:02 MST 2011

After 3 days, I've gotten around to installing OS X 10.5.6 on this
thing, adding another 2TB worth of SATA to it, making this thing a
media server for the whole house, and part-timing it as a Tivo-to-
AppleTV transcoder. It's now chewing through about 500GB worth of TV
shows, and dumping the results into my iTunes library so I can use it
anywhere.

There are plenty of really, really nice things about OS X, even though
it's a closed platform. It's heresy to say it here, but that's the
truth of it. In a closed system, you benefit from interoperability and
well-defined standards. Everyone knows the rules from the developers
down to the users, and everyone plays the same game, accordingly.

All the apps related to burning/ripping/transcoding in OS X all know
the lay of the land, so to speak, so everything you would want to do
is generally a breeze to do. There's a common backbone to everything.
Instead of a Rube Goldberg contraption glued together with the aid of
a shell script requiring the user to install 30 different packages of
5 different types with 100 different dependencies, all in an effort to
convert from format A to Z, you just have one or two apps that are
coherent in their approach to the problem, and deliver their results
in a format everything already understands natively. It's drag and
drop at that point. It ceases to be an "MP2/MP4/DivX/XviD/AVI/WMV/FLV-
to-BIN/CUE/VOB/DVD/VCD" issue. It just works.

At no point have I even been bothered with the idea of a "format". It
just works. Even when I don't expect it to, it works. It just.....works.

It's sort of an English/Metric thing. It's only when you switch to
metric that you look back at english and realize how needlessly insane
it is. Instead of measuring the world via an endless carnival of
ridiculous ideas like feet, inches, yards, quarts, pints, gallons,
furlongs and hogsheads, you only have two things to be concerned with.
A meter, and a gram. If you have a situation where everyone agrees in
advance, things get muuuuuuuch less complicated, and much more
enjoyable.