[Tfug] Steve Jobs has passed away

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Mon Oct 10 09:47:54 MST 2011

Tried to weigh in earlier but the TFUG server thought I was spam (maybe it knows something I don't?).  Anyway, I am very much like this unnamed guy who lives on a Mac and works on Linux.  After years of despairing over the Linux desktop (no flames, just a fact) I jumped from Windoze to Mac for my desktop around 2004 or so and have not regretted it.  I still do my heavy-lifting on Linux boxes, mainly because that's all command-line stuff and I'm too lazy to port over to Mac (slight shell differences and needing to recompile all my codes).  With VMWare, I am starting to run everything on my Mac hardware, which is proving to be a lot more reliable than PC boxes (which I buy from a local-area build-to-spec shop).  Yes, there are problems on Macs, and sometimes the "Apple knows best" design approach of hiding what's going on is annoying and can get in the way, but it more-often-than-not does indeed "just work" out of the box.

I really wish I'd had the financial balls to follow through on my instinct to buy Apple stock when Steve Jobs came back to Apple with NeXT technology/software in tow.  I'd be retired and off the list by now.  Bottom line is that Stevie boy was one smart dude and made as much of a difference on this tech world we live in as anyone around today.  He did the right thing often enough that "he's just lucky" doesn't carry much water.  The world will miss him, at least until the next wunderkind comes along.

Jim
James Secan
NorthWest Research Associates, Inc
4118 148th Ave NE