[Tfug] Steve Jobs has passed away

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 08:28:00 MST 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've stayed away from MAC mostly because of the cost.  All my computers are
> getting old.  I will need to start replacing them next year.  I'd like to go
> with a MAC however they are 2 - 4 times more than a PC.  I can buy an HP
> quad core, 6 GB RAM, 1TB Drive and a 23 inch flat screen monitor on sale for
> around $600.  I'd pay $1800 for a large screen Apple notebook or an iMAC.
>
> Am I missing something?

The point is that you're an outlier.   Most people refer to their computer
case as "the hard drive" and when unboxing their iMac wonder why it's just
"the screen".

Apple's stuff is more expensive because they choose to build stuff that's
near the leading edge (all of Apple's current machines use Intel's latest
processors for each form factor) and they only make devices in specific form
factors.   They specifically don't have a "single core minitower with
expansion" which is what the vast majority of PC's are today.

Also, they tend to go with higher spec'd components.   If you were to do a
like to like comparison of a homebuilt PC to say a 27" iMac, you'd quickly
discover that 27" 2560x1440 IPS displays cost in the $900-1200 range and
whatever you put together would be similar in price.  Your system would be
more expandable, but wouldn't have the form factor advantages of the iMac.

Here's what you're missing: The $600 on sale HP probably cuts a lot of
corners that Apple isn't willing to, thus why it's less expensive. If you
want to cut those corners, build your own machine or purchase appropriately.
 If you want modern hardware in a nice form factor with a great OS, buy
yourself a Mac.

For anything other than Desktop and laptop use, Apple is somewhat
disinterested in the market in terms of both hardware and software. For
non-OSX required tasks, the servers I run tend to be Linux, BSD or Solaris
(OpenIndiana).

- Zack