[Tfug] Distrob that's set up to use webcams with flash

Ammon Lauritzen allaryin at gmail.com
Wed May 18 10:52:13 MST 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Ashley Pritchard <linuxpen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow ...Flash does not work on Windows Systems "out of the box." How can you
> expect flash to work on a Linux distribution "out of the box?"

Hmm? Most windows machines ship with at least some version of flash
installed. Windows itself doesn't bundle it, but PC manufacturers do.

As far as distros with flash support, Ubuntu's is good. I've had
problems with flash under CentOS, but it worked itself out in the end.
Arch also has a good flash package iirc.

Once you have flash running in a browser, your problem is now that
you're using Linux ;)

Adobe's Linux support has always been poor. Flash builds are now
released regularly and are available in both 32 and 64-bit varieties.
Unfortunately, there are ... weirdnesses with IO. My personal
experiences are with strangely different tcp socket behaviors.

I would be astonished beyond measure if Flash under Linux can talk to
a webcam at all. But if it can, your best bet is probably in the
32-bit build (on a 32-bit kernel).

Ammon