[Tfug] Well, now i've seen it all.

bpoag at comcast.net bpoag at comcast.net
Mon May 30 13:50:27 MST 2011

Fedora 15 no longer supports /etc/inittab.

Read that line carefully and think about that for a moment. Let it sink in. Sip some coffee and give that idea a good minute or two to settle. Close your eyes and breathe deep. What's it mean?

It means the geniuses behind Fedora think that.......init.....should be...obedient...to a process.... init...itself...creates.

In English:

"I cannot help but notice your vehicle uses old-fashioned ROUND tires! Allow me to introduce you to my superior TRIANGULAR design! Please move aside whilst I affix these triangular tires upon your vehicle, thus allowing greater rubber-to-road contact, and improving its traction greatly!"

You know that episode of South Park where Kyle has PTSD flashbacks of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas gang-raping Indiana Jones? Replace Indiana Jones with Linux, and Spielberg+Lucas with Fedora's maintainers, and you'll get a good idea of what we're talking about. First it was patching the *kernel* to allow bloated GUI code to run better.. Now they've taken the basic ecosystem of Unix, and decided that the equivalent of God should first consult a giraffe living in Antarctica regarding whether or not it rains on the Moon.

...and people wonder why I switched to OS X.