[Tfug] Collaborative editing environments?

Claude Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Sat Mar 26 22:30:08 MST 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 03:31:45PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Claude Rubinson <cjr at grundrisse.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Google Docs seems to be continually improving and I'm thinking that it
> > might be the best choice at this point.  We certainly don't need all
> > the capabilities of a full-fledged word processor and Google Docs now
> > has a pretty decent revision history mechanism.  I try to avoid the
> > Google monolith when possible but if Google Docs supported Emacs-style
> > keybindings, it would be a no-brainer.
>
> I've had a lot of luck with google docs, for both word and spreadsheet
> and it's really gotten nice.

And from my limited testing, it seems like it should also solve two of
the most significant issues: (1) the minor-but-annoying
incompatibilities and inconsistencies across operating systems and
applications and (2) the horribly formatted DOC files.  I don't know
what it is, but even PhDs can't seem to produce a Word file without
horrible formatting/weird control characters/etc.

C.