[Tfug] Collaborative editing environments?

Claude Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Sat Mar 26 15:18:25 MST 2011

Hi all,

I'm revisiting the issue of collaborative editing with my non-Unix
using colleagues.  To date, I've usually just used OpenOffice (now
LibreOffice), they use MS Word, and we just email drafts back and
forth.  It works, but is rather painful and differences between the
Windows and Linux and/or Word and OOo continually cause
minor-but-annoying problems.

Google Docs seems to be continually improving and I'm thinking that it
might be the best choice at this point.  We certainly don't need all
the capabilities of a full-fledged word processor and Google Docs now
has a pretty decent revision history mechanism.  I try to avoid the
Google monolith when possible but if Google Docs supported Emacs-style
keybindings, it would be a no-brainer.

I'm not willing to force my colleagues to use a wiki or anything like
that; the barrier to entry needs to be low.  Any suggestions besides
Google Docs?  (AbiWord has a collaboration model and has limited
support for Emacs-style keybindings but its development seems pretty
stagnant, so I hesitate to throw my hat into that ring.)

Thanks,

Claude