[Tfug] IBM's 100th

Ed Wilson debed at debed.com
Thu Jun 16 10:53:27 MST 2011

IBM was on top of the computer industry in it's day, but they got that
"HARDWARE IS KING" and didn't place quite as much importance on the
software. Most of the mainframe industries had similar thinking. "What
importance is the operating system, we have the best hardware". They
completely missed the changing paradigm, a crappy PC is going to need a lot
of software and since Micro$oft can't prefect their OS, they don't even know
how it works the customer will need to keep buying it and buying it FOREVER.
What a great business plan, line them suckers up and keep selling them the
same piece of crap with different names and looks.

When I worked at the UofA and when we had a IBM 3090 mainframe (a long time
ago) the service policy cost the UofA $100,000 per month! That is where IBM
was getting it's money.

As hardware changed and the economy just began to fall to the point where it
is today (and still on it's way to crashing) IBM made itself much less
powerful.

I remember back in 1981 when I was a computer operator in a IBM shop, one of
our systems analysts went to a big conference. When he got back I asked him
what was new? He said PC Networks! I asked what is that? It took a few more
years but I did indeed found out. It is history now.

Ed