[Tfug] Using xset in a front end

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Thu Jun 2 10:20:29 MST 2011

Hi,

I'm writing a front end in tcl/tk and I'm running into a situation where
certain hot keys cause tremendous problems if the user has their
keyboard preferences set to 'auto repeat'. I've tried so many ways to
get around this auto repeat within tcl/tk and have not been able to find
a solution internally. So I thought I would use 'xset' to check what the
current auto repeat setting is, then just toggle auto repeat when the
user uses that hot key, then back to the state it was in before
launching the program.

My question is... is 'xset' a standard in all Linux distributions? I
mean, for instance, I use 'ps' with impunity in my program because I'm
completely confident that anyone running Linux will have ps. Is xset is
much a standard as 'ps'?

Thanks,
Rocco