[Tfug] UPS

Ed Wilson debed at debed.com
Fri Jul 1 15:59:42 MST 2011

Hello,

This is not a UNIX/Linux question but it has to do with all computers so I
thought this would be a good place to ask this question.

I lost power to my house two times in two days. This made me start thinking
that I need a UPS for my system.

I don't want one of those toy UPS boxes that we can buy, I want to build my
own with a deep cycle RV battery, an inverter and be able to keep the
battery charged at all times.

I knew someone that did something like this but he used an old broken UPS as
the "hardware" by just replacing the contained UPS batteries (which went
bad) with a car battery.

Has anyone on this list done something like this? If so could you tell me
what you used for hardware: inverter, charger, and how they work.

I have a fundamental idea of how this works but not having ever actually
done it I thought I would seek some advise if possible.

Thanks, Ed