[Tfug] Punched cards and paper tape.

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Wed Jan 19 09:39:38 MST 2011

My first run in with a computer was in 6th grade in 1959 (yeah, I'm an Old Guy).  Our teacher was tech oriented, one of the few male elementary-school teachers in that day, and obtained a grant from the district to purchase a bunch of electronic kits for us to build as a science project.  As the class geek (geekness tends to surface early), I was assigned the group who build an analog computer.  We could add, subtract, multiply, and divide by setting the operands by turning nobs and operators by flipping switches.  Then you turn the "results" knob until the light on the front was at it brightest.  Great fun.  Lead to a life-long interest in computers.

I'm a great believer in hands-on experience in schools to help grow techie individuals.  I built many electronics kits in my youth, and it has stood me in good stead in trying to keep my house alive and other "life relevant" applications.  Much more useful than memorizing some lame mid-1800s poetry, for example (let the flames begin!).

Jim
(Yes, loved my C-64!)
James Secan
NorthWest Research Associates, Inc