[Tfug] Looking for PCIe Video, Audio cards & an internal FAST disk drive recommendations

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Jan 15 15:21:02 MST 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Christopher P Robbins
<robbinsc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Harry McGregor <micros at osef.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I would recommend buying 20-30% more SSD then you think you will use, as it helps the wear leveling algorithms.
>>
>> And if you go that route, don't forget to start mounting various
>> things as tmpfs and think about what logs you really care about, for
>> how long (and tools like logwatch can be good here too).
>
> Is there a "best practice" for mixing storage (ie - SSD with larger SATA drives)?  Would it be best to drop /var/log on SSD and keep media on the SATA?

To me, it depends on your application.  What I'm doing (and got me
digging here) is usb stick rootfs on a desktop turned NAS.

For the longest time I've been using logwatch to see if there's
anything I care about going on and short of an easily reproducible
system crasher, I don't care if I have logs for forever.  So I shoved
/var/log onto tmpfs, made logrotate compress and not keep things for
too long (and rc.local mkdir /var/log/{apt,samba}).  I also took a
look at what I do have running and made stuff that's writing/deleting
cache/log files I don't care about use /tmp, which is also a tmpfs.

That's not to say you can't keep /var/log and so on on the SSD and not
have it still have a rather reasonable life span.  But it does make
you question what you really care about.  Further, if you do really
care about logs, a coworker of mine setup something similar to what I
have except it plays fancy games to move the logging over to the RAID
once it's up.

--
Tom