[Tfug] Packet delays

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 08:59:14 MST 2011

I am having a problem with TCP packets being delayed.  I am working on a
distributed control system, and we are sending messages as TCP packets
(using the Internet Communications Engine ICE).  Running Wireshark on
both the machine origination the packet, and on the machine receiving
the packet I have observed delays of >150ms in the time between when
Wireshark reports the sending machine has sent the packet and when the
other Wireshark reports the machine receiving the packet.  I have looked
through the ICE code and it looks like they are properly using
TCP_NO_DELAY to disable Nagel's algorithm when sending packets.  This
delay doesn't happen all of the time.  I would say that it happens on
the order of 1/10000 packets.

We are running everything on commodity machines.  They are running
CentOS 5 (a free build of RHEL 5) with Intel CPUs and network
controllers.  There is a switch between the two machines (likely an hp
pro-curve or an Extreme Networking Aspen 88xx).  In theory these
machines are on a virtual private sub-net but I don't have total control
over that.  I do know that the results are similar when I run tests in
the middle of the night or the middle of the day so I don't think that
other network activity is the cause.

So my questions for the community are: Has anyone else seen delays like
these?  Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing my delays (and
how to confirm/eliminate that as a cause)?

Thanks in advance and if anyone needs more information I can give it to
you.  We aren't doing anything proprietary/closed source so I can share
almost anything.

--
-john

                 2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
         0b11000100 || !0b11000100
         0b11000100 || 0b00111011
                0b11111111
         255, that is the answer.