[Tfug] Help getting new laptop to suspend/hibernate correctly

Nathan Hruby nhruby at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 12:32:48 MST 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Glen Pfeiffer <glen at thepfeiffers.net> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am running Debian 6 on a new laptop from ZaReason. So far,
> everything works beautifully on it except hibernate/suspend. I
> have opened a support ticket with them, but while I am waiting
> for them to build a new Chimera to test with, I thought I would
> see if any of you can offer some insight.
>
> Here is what happens when I try to initiate a suspend or
> hibernate from within Gnome (using the Gnome menu option):
>
> 1. The screen goes blank.
> 2. The screen turns off.
> 3. I see a terminal like window with a blinking cursor. No text
>   is ever displayed to the screen.
> 4. I see the gnome-screensaver unlock dialog.
> 5. After unlocking, all my programs are running.

Most of the power-management stuff is buried in ACPI nowadays.  You
may want to research the hardware and BIOS and try things like,
disabling legacy usb support, ensuring ACPI is on, disabling VT bit on
processor if you're not using visualization, and generally playing
around with the various acpi kernel command line args.

I also see the nvidia driver loaded in your lsmod, but I don't know if
that has an extra tunable for sleep operations.  What kind fo hardware
is it?

-n