[Tfug] Question: tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Sun Aug 21 19:18:49 MST 2011

Probably a dumb question:

I created a tar file of a directory in an ext2 partition with the intent to cd
to a vfat partition, and uncompress:

As root I compressed using command:
tar -cvzf <tarfile.tgz> <directory in ext2>

As root I uncompressed using command, using the -C option:
tar -xzf <tarfile.tgz> -C <directory in vfat>

Most all files were copied into the vfat partition, but a couple whole
directories and their files weren't, I repeatedly received the error message:
tar: <files.jpg>: Cannot open: No such file or directory.

Because of the -v option, I was able to do a scrollback, and saw the files.jpg
were indeed compressed into the .tgz

I checked all ownerships and permissions, and their directories (recursively),
of these "unopenable/missing files" (in their original directories) and none
were unusual, all were <user> 777.

What am I missing?

TIA Tucson!