[Tfug] not a UNIX question

Ed Wilson debed at debed.com
Thu Sep 30 19:58:50 MST 2010

Hi,

I have been a member of this list (off and on) for a number of years but I
mostly just read the posts.

Why this is not exactly a UNIX question is that I am using a Windows system.
However, the server that I have installed is the Apache server using Perl
CGI and this is why I believe someone on this list may be able to offer me
some advice.

I have a Windows XP system. It is running the Apache server. I just
configured Apache for CGI. I also installed a new version of Active Perl.

I have added the DBI and DBD-ODBC Perl modules.

I put some test html in my first CGI and it works.

Here is the problem. I made a Windows ACCESS database, just a simple file
with name, E-mail address and phone number.

Using the Windows ODBC data sources utility I assigned a data set name of
"addresses" to my access database.

When I execute the CGI from my Apache web server, the test html code prints
out the text then the page chokes on the database connection.

When I bring up the Windows command prompt and just run the CGI from the
"DOS looking command prompt" the CGI works perfectly including the database
work.

It looks like the CGI is not seeing the ODBC data set definition pointing at
my database. But isn't that managed by the CGI? If so, why wouldn't it work
from the server but would work from the command prompt?

Is there some sort of config setting in Apache that will allow the
connection to work?

This same sort of connection has worked on Windows back when I used to use
Omnihttp, but I no longer have that server software.

Thanks, sorry for the Windowsie nature of this question, :)
Ed