[Tfug] Virtualbox

Steve Franks bahamasfranks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 16:48:37 MST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Steve B <steveb7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am in need of some general advice. Recently I picked up a socket 775
> machine. Currently it only has a CoreDuo, but it can accept up to a
> Core2Quad. I'd like to install Ubuntu and then setup Virtual box to run some
> version of Windows. Would I be better off waiting till I can replace the CPU
> with a Core2 to gain hardware virtualization, or can I set it all up now on
> the CoreDuo and upgrade the CPU later? What problems if any might I run into
> if I choose to run it on the CureDuo now? What problems might I have if I
> start off on the CoreDuo, then upgrade to a Core2Quad?
>
> Steve

I have been using VBox since 3.16 and I have had *zero* problems with
it.  I run an XP install from either a FreeBSD, Ubuntu or Fedora host.
 The FreeBSD is a frankenbox from newegg, and the Ubuntu is a Lenovo
V460 laptop, and the Fedora is a Lenovo s10 netbook.  All these boxes
run the same virtual machine (the netbook is pathetically slow, of
course).

(1) The only headache is when you upgrade VBox, it tends to choke on
the format of it's own .xml files used to describe the settings (i.e.
wether to use VT-x).  I have manually edited them sucessfully.  VBox's
builtin export/import for virtual machines doesn't seem to work for
me, so I just copy .VirtualBox from my home folder on one machine to
another, then edit the .xml until it quits complaining (if VBox is a
different version between machines, otherwise it just works).  I've
ran the same XP install on one machine with VT-x, and another without,
it doesn't seem to care.

(2) I found a good description of how to copy XP from one harddisk to
another on the net once (and should've archived it but didn't).
Anyway, it said the main thing is not to change from an APIC to a
non-APIC mobo, because one of the real basic files for the kernel is a
different file in those cases, and switching it manually didn't go
well for the author.  I only mention this, because this is an option
that vbox is happy to change from install to install.

So I'd say you're fine, mess with the settings that relate to the host
computer (nix) all you want, but avoid changing settings that relate
to the guest os (XP), unless you want it to go asking for a new M$ key
for the install.  I think this is one reason vbox lets you specify up
to 4 network cards, but allows the 'cable' to be left 'disconnected'
virtually on any given boot.  Also handy for usb serial ports (vbox
doesn't handle usb well, so serial adapters are best emulated as real
hardware imho).

Steve