[Tfug] vlc on Debian testing

Claude Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Sat Oct 16 14:22:44 MST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:44:35AM -0700, earljviolet at deserthowler.com wrote:
> I'm running Debian testing.  I installed libdvdcss.  I can play DVDs on
> Totem; OK sound and video. vlc doesn't play the movie correctly ... it is
> compressed horizontally and with no color although the sound is OK.  I'm
> also running Linux Mint DE and vlc works fine on that.  Both are using the
> same Debian repositories as far as I can tell.

>From the VLC FAQ (http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html):

The video runs but the picture is distorted

There is probably a problem with the output layer. There are several
ways of troubleshooting it. First, try with another output plugin, for
instance:

% vlc -V sdl
% vlc -V x11

Second, change your screen depth and/or definition. It quite often
helps. Lastly, if running Unix, have a look at your X.Org video
driver.

If that doesn't work, make sure that you have all of the necessary
dependencies.  I assume that you're using Marillat's non-free repo?
If not, go to http://www.debian-multimedia.org to enable it.

Claude