[Tfug] UTF in source code?

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Oct 1 23:50:00 MST 2010

Greetings,

I'm in the process of writing my own ray tracer.  Not surprisingly, when you
deal with anything curved, you end up with variables representing phi, pi,
theta, etc.  Of course, right now I am just spelling them out like that.

But, are a great many programs UTF-8 (or whatever) happy now?  For example,
I'm writing in EMACS and compiling with g++.  Anybody know if they handle UTF
correctly?

If they do, it would be nice to actually use the pi character and others.  I'd
have to find out how to type these in Emacs properly, but Google can help
there.  I didn't find much info about UTF-8 support, though.

Anybody tried this?  Or maybe you wrote some code in a foreign language
(naturally just the comments)?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS (soon for Android) --  http://weaselreader.org