[Tfug] video tool

erich erich1 at copper.net
Sun May 30 09:43:46 MST 2010

OK,
           Here are the facts:

Hostname   Scan rate              Comments

nec0          Text: 31.4kHz/70Hz  This a legacy machine
           Xserver: 59.9kHz/67Hz  Kernel 2.0.35 #2
                                  ATI Mach64 GB video card

tcm_a         Text: 31.5kHz/70Hz  This is a DOS machine with an
           Xserver: 31.5kHz/60Hz  xserver that runs on my network.
                                  It is currently shelved.

mmom          Text: 31.5kHz/70Hz  This is my pride & joy. It's
           Xserver: 91.1kHz/85Hz  an X-host workstation for
                                  all other machines. Also
                                  used for multimedia/netTV
                                  Kernel: 2.6.25-gentoo-r9
                                  Nvidia geforce2 AGP card

jdud1         Text: 31.5kHz/70Hz  This machine is currently
           Xserver: 79.9kHz/75Hz  shelved. Was my workstation
                                  before mmom. Not used for
                                  video/multimedia.
                                  Kernel: 2.6.23-gentoo-r8
                                  ATI r128 AGP card

thespian     Test: 31.5kHz/70Hz   This is a long time work
          Xserver: 31.5khz/60Hz   in progress currently has
                                  MythDora 12 installed. Has
                                  a PCI express ATSC PVR card
                                  Kernel: 2.6.32
                                  Intel 82G33/G31 PCI express
                                  on board graphics controller

   In other words, the latest xorg-server along with the latest
kernel has configured an Intel PCI express video controller
to a DOS scan rate. Data were taken using a Compaq P900 monitor
with scan rate display feature.
   I haven't discussed color depth (or bits per pixel). Generally
a high scan rate is indicative of a good color depth.

                                               Cheers,
                                               Erich