[Tfug] video tool

Kramer Lee krameremark1 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 00:37:05 MST 2010

We used to be able to directly edit xorg.conf to set a maximum color
depth, for my old video card I had to set it to 16, then I could get
1280x1024 to match the monitor.  Debian still has a
not-completely-automatic Xorg and allows me to put the line:

DefaultDepth         16

in the Screen part of the xorg.conf file.  So for that computer I have
given up on Ubuntu and use Debian.

With 9.10 you also get Grub 2, which has a lot different way of
changing its settings than did Grub 1, so that is another learning
curve.  Debian doesn't use Grub 2 yet either.