[Tfug] wicd can't make WEP connection via its configuration

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Thu May 27 18:15:27 MST 2010

Just the latest frustration in dealing with an OS that seems to be
paling fast ...

The WEP key for the router I'm using is a simple 10 characters in
length.  On the WXP side, just enter the 10 chars and away it goes.
Not so under wicd though.  The wicd configuration dialog gives several
choices regarding what kind of WEP key.  I tried them all to no avail.

Finally, I tried issuing the command "iwconfig ath0 key 1234567890" in
xterm and lo and behold, it worked!  So wicd seems to be screwed
concerning its configuration routines AFAICT.  Anybody here dealt with
this issue?  What am I missing?

--
John