[Tfug] Synchronizing directories.

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 07:57:21 MST 2010

I have a htpc that lives in my living room, a desktop machine that lives
in my office and a wireless network that connects the two.  Both
machines have NFS running and that is how I access files.  My wireless
network isn't quite fast enough.  When I try to open a 5MB image file
located on the remote machine, it takes a little longer than I would
like.  (I have tested bandwidth and iperf claims that I am seeing
~8Mbits/sec between the two machines).  Keeping a copy of every file on
each machine solves my current problem of a slow network connection as
well as my lack of backup.  Is this the best solution or is there some
special filesystem that would solve my problem?  If copies of the files
is my best bet how should I implement it?  I am not sure if rsync will
work to solve my problem because I can't guarantee which machine I will
delete the files from.

So does anyone know of a solution to my problem, or do I need to write a
custom script to crawl the relevant directories on both machines and
inspect timestamps to determine if a file has been added or deleted and
then make the appropriate change on the other machine?  Has anyone
already written this script?  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

It shouldn't matter much but this is being done on various versions of
Ubuntu.  In the near future I will likely be upgrading to the 10.04 but
at the moment one machines is 9.10 and the other is 8.04.

Thanks
-john