[Tfug] OT: Outdoor displays

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 13:20:35 MST 2010

Hi Robert,

> Perhaps a mobile phone w/ Internet
> might be easier to manage than
> fitting the forklift with a laptop. Then develop a "secure"
> interface to the scale (e.g., via mobile web browser).

That requires a (paid) "service".  I.e., WC would have
to subscribe to wireless carrier and provide the forklift
operators with "smart phones".  In addition to the
ongoing cost (of the service), the fact that the phones
would have value *beyond* just being "remote displays"
would invite their theft (perhaps half of the folks
"working" at WC are "doing time" for crimes  :-/  )

That's why I thought the WiFi enabled PDA was a decent
compromise -- no "costs for service" and not very useful
to The Average Joe (hence not likely to be "lifted").

I've tinkered with some other wireless *appliances*
but they all tend to have proprietary implementations
(I don't want to make a career of this!)