[Tfug] fsck question

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 11:50:05 MST 2010

Hi Earl,

> I have been letting fsck automatically run on my Ubuntu 9.10 install
> automatically with no problems.  Recently fsck showed some problems.
>
> I am trying to figure out how to force a run of fsck to correct these
> problems, or at least show what they are so I can fix them.  I looked in
> /etc with no luck in finding anything to do with fsck.  The man page
> doesn't give me any help on this.

fsck -N <mount_point>

should give you a list of the things fsck *would* do (if you
were to allow it to do so).  This is worthwhile looking through
just to see if you can identify any patterns that might
suggest "other problems".

fsck -a <mount_point>

will fix things for you automagically.

If you want to do *all* of your filesystems (per /etc/fstab),
then use

fsck -A

(the -V option can be useful if you want to capture a log of what
it *did* -- e.g., redirect output to "filename")

HTH,
--don

BTW, has WC cleaned your "mess", yet?  ;-)