[Tfug] USB WiFi

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:08:54 MST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM,  <earljviolet at deserthowler.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently came across some Linksys USB WiFi wireless B antennas at World
> Care.  They are version 3 which is supported by Linux (I think this is the
> only version supported by Linux).  I'm testing each one on Ubuntu 9.10.
> They work and, from my experience, are pretty good.  I'll move them to the
> store as I get them tested.  The price is $10.
>
> You can use them for Windows too.  :D
>
> Earl

In case anybody isn't aware: these cannot support WPA encryption
because the "B" series WiFi standard didn't support WPA.  No driver
update in the world will fix that.  Plus, some routers have "B" class
support turned off.  So they're for limited situations only.

Range and speed will be adequate for most needs, esp. web-surfing.

Jim