[Tfug] RAID0 + Linux + Windows = :(

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Mon Jun 21 22:56:35 MST 2010

Hi again,

I'm back to solicit some more advice.

This is the first time I've tried to work RAID0 into Windows while
dual-booting on my system.  I've used Linux RAID plenty of times, though,
usually with success.

This time, for simplicity (so I thought) I used the on-board "fakeraid",
provided, in this case, by the Intel Matrix Storage option ROM.

Windows is quite happy with this.  Linux however... depending on which
installer you use, Linux may or may not see it.  dmraid is capable of
activating this array, but actually getting Linux installed is really trying
my patience.

Has anybody here ever used their mobo's fakeraid successfully in Linux?

I tried the Debian installer (Lenny or testing/squeeze), but they don't bother
to check and run dmraid.  The current Ubuntu installer does, however, but it
has other problems.  Specifically, fdisk with the Ubuntu installer always
creates partitions like isw_fsaksjf_Vol0p1, ...Vol0p2, etc.  But, the
installer is looking for names ending in ...Vol01, ...Vol02, and so on. So the
installer stays non-functional.  I tried just renaming the devices under
/dev/mapper to what the installer wanted, but that just made "parted_devices"
segfault someplace in libc.  So, not a good solution.

The alternative is to NOT use the fakeraid.  Then I can use Linux RAID0 which
I know works.  But if I want to get RAID0 in Win7 as well, the only way to do
that is to make both sda and sdb into so-called "dynamic disks" and as soon as
I do that, blam, away goes Linux.  And I'm pretty sure Linux doesn't support
or like these dynamic disks because the installer couldn't make much out of
them.

Any ideas what I should do at this point?  I really would like to have some
sort of RAID0 in Windows because it really could use all the speed up it can.
But, in the worst case scenario, I suppose I can forego RAID0 in Windows and
keep in Linux.  At least I know that setup will function properly.

Humbug!
( but, thanks in advance to anybody that can help!  :) )

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org