[Tfug] starting a hackerspace

Oliver Savage oliver.savage at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:36:43 MST 2010

Hi, I've come to a few of the TFUG Happy Hours years ago, and have
been lurking on the list for 4 years or so.

I've decided to start hosting a maker/hackerspace type group. I'm a
member of the Dry River Collective dryriver.org at 740 N Main Ave in
Tucson. This is an open community space where anyone is welcome to
host events. I'm also a smallfry linux sysadmin, wannabe programmer,
and broad but shallow DIYer. To learn more about hackerspaces you can
web search then visit some sites, watch some videos, and see also
http://hackerspaces.org .

Email me or feel free to drop by Dry River on Mondays from 3-6p to
speak the best way of all, in person!

The hackgroup maybe Chackshop (chuckshon hacked and chopped) would
meet weekly/bi-weekly with the express intent of skill-sharing and DIY
comradery. This will be a free group organized by consensus with
optional dues for project storage space. Right now I'm seeking people
to help split hosting duties, to make it known that you can host a
workshop/class, and give you a heads up if you want to be notified for
event announcements.

current DIY/relevant objects at the space: screen printing, basic hand
tools, electric drills, soldering irons, bike tools, sewing machine,
microscope, projector, parts, art supplies, craft supplies, basic
computers, lots of space, books and zines, internet, wifi, printers
with no ink.

Dry River is drug and smoke free, and all ages. Dry River seeks to be
a safe(r) space where racism, sexism, patriarchy, and all forms of
oppression are challenged. Basically if you are an authoritarian jerk
and aren't comfortable being around anarchists you may not want to
visit. We aren't zealots and the mission of the hackerspace isn't to
convert people.