[Tfug] Another CC* weighs in....

Malcolm Schmerl mjs355 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 16 16:17:30 MST 2010

you are extremely misinformed.

Here's a quote from Thomas Jefferson: "The day will come when the
mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the
womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of
Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" (Works, Vol. iv, p. 365).

Ben Franklin: "My parents had given me betimes religions impressions,
and I received from my infancy a pious education in the principles of
Calvinism. But scarcely was I arrived at fifteen years of age, when,
after having doubted in turn of different tenets, according as I found
them combated in the different books that I read, I began to doubt of
Revelation itself" (Autobiography, p. 66).

Historian Barry Schwartz writes: "George Washington's practice of
Christianity was limited and superficial because he was not himself a
Christian...  He repeatedly declined the church's sacraments.  Never did
he take communion, and when his wife, Martha, did, he waited for her
outside the sanctuary...  Even on his deathbed, Washington asked for no
ritual, uttered no prayer to Christ, and expressed no wish to be
attended by His representative." [New York Press, 1987, pp. 174-175]

James Maddison: "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and
unfits it for every noble enterprise."
                             -letter to Wm. Bradford, April 1, 1774

Thomas Paine:  "Take away from Genesis the belief that Moses was the
author, on which only the strange belief that it is the word of God has
stood, and there remains nothing of Genesis but an anonymous book of
stories, fables, and traditionary or invented absurdities, or of
downright lies."

I could go on with this ad infinitum. These men wrote our Constitution,
and they had a healthy cynicism toward religion. No where in the
Constitution is Christ, The Bible, or God mentioned. In many places
religion is denied; it cannot be used as a test for public office and
the church must remain separated from the state.