[Tfug] Debugging X lockups?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Fri Jun 11 15:57:20 MST 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:26:14PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 05:47:29PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> > I'm having a pretty severe problem with X locking up on me.  It's
> > almost certainly something to do with the mouse.  Sometimes when I
> > click a button on the mouse, the cursor will turn to the "busy" cursor
> > and simply won't turn back.  Sometimes my whole X session will lock
> > up, but other times, it's simply that mouse button clicks are no
> > longer received.  Focus-follows-mouse still works, so I can keep
> > typing and I can switch VTs so that I can kill and restart X.
>
> So it may have been a kernel problem.  I'm not sure yet but,
> basically, it looks like the kernel might have been upgraded without
> my noticing.  In and of itself, that shouldn't cause a problem.
> However, it appears that a Debian maintainer fscked the naming
> convention such that grub would default to the older kernel.

As another follow up, it appears that the root problem is
hardware-related.  I started seeing the same symptoms again a little
while ago and they've pretty much disappeared since I turned off the
trackpad (I only ever use the trackpoint, so it's no loss for me).  I
suspect that I may have left a connection loose last time I opened my
notebook but haven't had a chance to open it back up and check.

Claude