[Tfug] video tool

erich erich1 at copper.net
Mon Jun 7 08:53:12 MST 2010

OK,
         I found an xorg.conf script specific to my video chip, (Intel
82G33/G31), FWIW
I'll show it here:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
# values from the debconf database and some overrides to use vesa mode.
#
# You should use debconf or another such tool for creating a "real"
xorg.conf
# For example:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

   Installed it, and with my testing thus far:

               1) glixinfo shows a 32 bit color depth and direct rendering

               2) glxgears checks out properly

               3) It sets the mode to 800x600 like you see in the script,

    The new Xorg-server (HAL/udev era) is somewhat of a cultural shock
for people, (myself
included). Some of the language in a xorg.conf  file now reflects the
goings on of HAL

     Xorg.conf files, (or more generally x-window server configuration
files) have a
checkered history. I've had to re-learn the language/syntax in them
several times over
as the x-server has evolved.

      I've never had an x-display that I was satisfied with on the first
go. I've always
needed to "peak & tweak" it.

Cheers,

Erich