[Tfug] video tool

earljviolet at deserthowler.com earljviolet at deserthowler.com
Sun Jun 6 07:15:17 MST 2010

On Sat, June 5, 2010 3:59 pm, Will McNulty wrote:
> it used to be "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"
> its text based but easy to use.
> id suggest all default except for resolution. hit spacebar to check the
> ones
> you want.
> hope it helps. i havent used ubuntu since 8.10 so not sure if it still
> works
> the same.

That doesn't work now.  I think it was 9.04 where the 'improvements' were
made.

I experimented with live CDs on a Dell PIII Latitude laptop I use for my
Magic Jack phone under Windows XP.

lspci gives me: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)

Mandriva 2009 ran but Mandriva 2010 doesn't run X.  Lubuntu 10.04 runs
well but only gives 800x600.  Puppy Linux 5 does 800x600 but Puppy has a
utility to push X so I get 1024x768, the limit of my video card.

This is irritating as I was planned to give a couple of these Dells to
friends who could use a laptop for college.

Earl