[Tfug] wicd can't make WEP connection via its configuration

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 07:23:55 MST 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 7:46 AM, John Hubbard <ender8282 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want to say that I had similar problems with an old version of kubuntu (7.10 I think). I also had to write a simple script using iwconfig to get my network setup. Eventually I upgraded to a newer version and things worked much better. So far I have been pretty happy with kubuntu 10.04. You might think about booting to a live cd and seeing if things work there.

I did try 9.10, but they had removed the thinkpad support that had
been present in 6 & 7.  So I chose an older version, also partly to
get KDE 3.x back, although I'm been using XFCE anyway.  With 9.10, I
had kind of expected that things would "just work" as they had when I
first installed Ubuntu on the machine some three years ago.  Although
I did have to make a few adjustments e.g., to get hibernation working,
I was very happy with it overall, and didn't have to patch the kernel
for thinkpad support ( T42 volume button support + hibernation), the
way it seems necessary to do with some of the more current versions.

I have tried installing the same kernel + modules that I was using
with 7.10, but can't get hibernation working as I had it before.

--
John