[Tfug] CDs: no medium found, DVDs work (sometimes)

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at northwestern.edu
Sat Jul 10 13:46:31 MST 2010

Well, I finally got a chance to reboot one of the machines and try
booting from the cd. I figured it would be 'proof' that Zack was wrong
if the thing boots from cd, but doesn't read the cd once booted from
the drive. Much to my chagrin, it looks like Zack (and others) was
right. The hardware looks like its dead.

Very strange though since the DVD part still works 'sometimes'. I
tried pulling the drive and putting in another machine and that also
failed to read the disk. Then after put it back in the workstation,
the CD worked 2-3 times just fine and then started failing again. Now
it's at about 30% of the time. DVDs are more like 70% but also fails
frequently. Any the same across 3 different machines. I guess sometime
the odds are just that bad.

Thanks to all for suggestions.
JDR