[Tfug] Web 2.0 for business?

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 09:50:35 MST 2010

So what is Jive?

------------------------

Keith Smith

--- On Tue, 7/6/10, Chris Niswander <MOST.SENDERS.ARE._FILTERED.OUT_--FOR.MY.REAL.EMAIL.ADDRESS.check.my.website..tfug.rcvr.x6a3 at bitboost.com> wrote:

From: Chris Niswander <MOST.SENDERS.ARE._FILTERED.OUT_--FOR.MY.REAL.EMAIL.ADDRESS.check.my.website..tfug.rcvr.x6a3 at bitboost.com>
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Web 2.0 for business?
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Date: Tuesday, July 6, 2010, 8:49 AM

If the most you've been told about how to make Jive
serve the actual needs & goals of your business is
"Jive is an attempt to translate the success of Web 2.0 tools like
Facebook, Twitter et al to creating business communities,"
it's no wonder you might feel unclear on how to make this
software actually *useful to your employer*.

I wonder, was this software sold to decision makers in your company
on the basis of 'gotta keep up with the "latest trends" today,'
rather than actually explaining how it will help?

Marketers can sell something on the basis of "OMIGOD WHAT IF WE'RE
BEHIND THE TIMES PANIC OMIGOD PANIC AAUAUAUAUAUAUGGH!"
But that's not a good basis on which to select a good product
and understand how to use it.

Imagine if we bought used cars that way.

Prospective Customer: "I DO NOT HAVE ONE OF THESE NEWFANGLED
CARS!  I DO NOT EVEN KNOW HOW TO ATTACH THE HORSEPOWERS!
OMIGOD I'M OBSELETE!  PANIC!"

Salesman: "Don't worry!  I will sell you this excellent six-wheeled
Pinto with Rear-End Rocket-Like Explosion Power Boost[TM]!"

Prospective Customer: "Wow, six wheels?  That's like, two more than four!"

Salesman: "Our competitors' only have four, but we have this extra wheel
in the trunk here!  Also this extra-large truck wheel forcibly embedded in a side panel from an Enhancement Event."

Prospective Customer: "I am so happy!  We have already found
the car with more wheels because this salesman has educated us!
But what is Explosion Power Boost?"

Salesman: "Explosion Power Boost propels you to safety in case of a dreaded rear-end collision emergency threat to your business!"

Prospective Customer: "I still don't know what Explosion Power Boost is, or how exactly it helps, but it sounds good!"

Common Sense, to Prospective Customer: "Wait!  You don't even know how
to drive.  Maybe you should take some driving lessons before you buy a
car?"

Prospective Customer, to Salesman: "Good thing for you I'm too busy to
send anyone to take driving lessons before I pick out a car!  Here is my
checkbook!  Just take some checks out, fill in some numbers and stuff,
and sign them for me!"

The good news is, a glance at the http://jivesoftware.com
website reveals that Jive Software will also be happy to
rent you "solution consultants."  So really, understanding
how (or whether) this is all valuable to *your employer*
is quite unnecessary until you run out of money. :-/

The truth is, each and every one of us can panic.

There are entire industries and other social institutions
devoted to making us panic, and to exploiting our panic.

But panic is seldom a good way to make decisions.

--Chris

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: