[Tfug] maybe OT: web site oddity

Matthew Patenaude mnglfiddle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 21:56:21 MST 2010

Guys!

I have a strange situation with a sight I like to keep tabs on, namely,
distrowatch.com.

I have lately been running Chrome in Ubuntu, and it is quite fast. However,
when I try to go my bookmark for the main home page for distrowatch, what I
get instead is the following:
http://114search.118114.cn/search_web.html?id=592&kw=distrowatch.com&nid=WS0rahFg%2B2ZNP/xL6p4lyg%3D%3D&st=web&param1=web&param2=
[It does the same no matter how I try to get to http://distrowatch.com]

I live and work right now in China, Shanghai, and so it is no surprise that
something like this would pop up from time to time. It really is just a
search engine page, that includes a lot of links in it, the first of which
is distrowatch.com itself, however, if I click on that link, it merely
refreshes that aggravating page. 114search is sort of like a phone operator
for asking information.

I first thought, that maybe someone wrote an article that made the sensors
here block the site. However, if I instead google for distrowatch.com and
instead of clicking on the main link, I choose one of Distrowatch's
sub-links, for example,
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=majorwhich shows the top ten
list, Chrome takes me right to it.

I can browse anywhere on Distrowatch *except* for the home page, which then
takes me back to the 114search page.

Even stranger, however, is that if I open Firefox, and click on my bookmark
for Distrowatch.com, it opens right up, and I never see the 114search page.

I have looked through Chrome's settings and so on, but don't see anything
selected any differently than in Firefox, and I have gone through and
deleted existing cookies for 114search and so on, all to no avail.

Anyone out there have any idea what is going on here? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Matthew Patenaude