[Tfug] Cable modem choice for Cox service?

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:47:03 MST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM,  <earljviolet at deserthowler.com> wrote:

>     I use an old Motorola on Cox.  It cost me $5 at World Care.  The
> problem with used modems is some are 'locked' because the previous
> owner didn't officially disconnect.  This can be a problem because
> Cox won't unlock one.  There's no way to test until connecting.

Hopefully, the people selling through Amazon and eBay are selling free
and clear equipment!  But it could be well worth the trouble of asking
before buying!

>     It cost me about $70 to have the the Cox tech set it up.  He arrived
> about 15 minutes early so no waiting for him.  He was also able to
> check on the lock on the modem ... it wasn't.  I paid because I
> wanted to save the trouble of figuring what the problem could be.

I read a couple of comments from users who had handled it by making
the call to Cox or Comcast and doing the setup directly, which would
suit me just fine.  Hopefully there wouldn't be a need to fiddle with
"low-level" configuration options of the modem.

>     You might be able to save the fee by finding out how to see if the
> modem is OK to use or not.  The tech called a magic number at Cox.

No sure if you're referring to the locked issue above or something
else, like provider / modem compatibility.  If the latter, responses
here should help steer me.

>     There was another problem with my hook-up because the previous
> residents moved out and some how the paper work didn't get done.

Hmm, now that's something I hadn't considered.

Thanks,

--
John Karns