[Tfug] Cable modem choice for Cox service?

earljviolet at deserthowler.com earljviolet at deserthowler.com
Sun Jan 24 18:12:51 MST 2010

On Sun, January 24, 2010 4:45 pm, John Karns wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm thinking about opting for Cox cable internet, since a salesman
> recently informed me that they wouldn't require a contract.  The
> decision will depend on some other factors, such as whether they will
> allow me to use my own modem, and what they would charge for setup.
> I'm looking for just basic service, so don't need a state-of-the-art
> modem, and have looked up some info on the Linksys BEFCMU10 and the
> Motorola SB5100, since they are available for under $50.
>
> I'll be using it with a WRT54G with that currently has DD-WRT
> installed.  Any comments or suggestions from readers here?  Anyone
> using one of the modem units mentioned above?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> John Karns

     I use an old Motorola on Cox.  It cost me $5 at World Care.  The
problem with used modems is some are 'locked' because the previous
owner didn't officially disconnect.  This can be a problem because
Cox won't unlock one.  There's no way to test until connecting.
     It cost me about $70 to have the the Cox tech set it up.  He arrived
about 15 minutes early so no waiting for him.  He was also able to
check on the lock on the modem ... it wasn't.  I paid because I
wanted to save the trouble of figuring what the problem could be.
     I also ordered a Cox modem ... just in case all of the old Motorola
modems I tried didn't work (I had 5 to test from WC) but the first
one worked.  They gave me credit, no questions asked.
     You might be able to save the fee by finding out how to see if the
modem is OK to use or not.  The tech called a magic number at Cox.
     There was another problem with my hook-up because the previous
residents moved out and some how the paper work didn't get done.  The
first 3 techs said "open IE" so I hung up and tried until I got one
who solved the problem.

Earl