[Tfug] Bizarre permissions situation...

Matthew Patenaude mnglfiddle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 21:23:11 MST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM, John Gruenenfelder
> <johng at as.arizona.edu> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:06:38PM -0700, Jim March wrote:
> >>I intend to run Rockbox on it, but only once I have the permissions
> >>issues sorted out.
> >>
> >>Which still ain't working despite:
> >>
> >>/dev/sdb1       /media/disk auto user,noauto,uid=1000   0  0
> >>
> >>...in fstab.
> >>
> >>I just used gparted to confirm it's /dev/sdb1 and I triple-checked my
> uid.
> >>
> >>If anybody can help...I'd really appreciate it.  This blows.
> >
> > You can't change the permissions/ownership for any of those files (via
> > chmod/chown, anyway) on the device because FAT32 does not support
> permissions
> > of any kind.
> >
> > Now, without the uid= option, the ownership should be set to whomever
> mounts
> > it.  If root mounts it, then root owns all of the files, and if your user
> > mounts it, then he will own all of the files.  The uid= option *should*
> fix
> > all of that, however...  You could try adding gid=1000 as well.
> >
> > So, what happens when you mount the device, not as root but as your user,
> with
> > or without the uid= option?  Who owns the files according to ls -l?  What
> > permissions do they have?
>
> Welll...the truly weird thing now is that if I plug it in and mount it
> at the command line via sudo, it works "for root only".  If I then
> pull it and re-mount it, it works in the normal, friendly, auto-detect
> fashion fully read-write for my regular username.
>
> Grrr.
>
> I'm going to be reformatting anyways to 32bit instead of 64, too many
> odd glitches right now.  So it'll probably be OK after that.

I think the Rockbox install utility app will install Rockbox without the
hassle of the other things you're trying to do. You might actually have an
easier time of it *after* you install Rockbox, than trying to install it *
after* you get the permissions figured out... or am I missing something
here?