[Tfug] Bizarre permissions situation...

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Thu Jan 21 13:50:41 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:06:38PM -0700, Jim March wrote:
>I intend to run Rockbox on it, but only once I have the permissions
>issues sorted out.
>
>Which still ain't working despite:
>
>/dev/sdb1       /media/disk auto user,noauto,uid=1000   0  0
>
>...in fstab.
>
>I just used gparted to confirm it's /dev/sdb1 and I triple-checked my uid.
>
>If anybody can help...I'd really appreciate it.  This blows.

You can't change the permissions/ownership for any of those files (via
chmod/chown, anyway) on the device because FAT32 does not support permissions
of any kind.

Now, without the uid= option, the ownership should be set to whomever mounts
it.  If root mounts it, then root owns all of the files, and if your user
mounts it, then he will own all of the files.  The uid= option *should* fix
all of that, however...  You could try adding gid=1000 as well.

So, what happens when you mount the device, not as root but as your user, with
or without the uid= option?  Who owns the files according to ls -l?  What
permissions do they have?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org