[Tfug] Kernel Versions

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Mon Jan 18 09:23:08 MST 2010

I recently hit the kernel.org website looking to see what the latest stable
kernel version number is, and I noticed they have listed 5 stable kernels

1. 2.6.32.3
2. 2.6.31.11
3. 2.6.30.10
4. 2.6.27.43
5. 2.4.37.7

While I realize the 2.4 series have long been seen as the stable "legacy" of
sorts, what is the deal with the other 4? I cannot find any reviews that
describe the differences. I use a lot of intel systems, so I am interested in
using the latest intel video drivers which they say requires the 2.6.32.2+
kernel. I am currently running the 2.6.30.X, but it seems to me there are
multiple stable branches, how do I know which to use?

Does anyone know of a recent review on kernel versions?

Nathan