[Tfug] linux no longer for amateurs

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:12:58 MST 2010

>  I hate ts say it but this means that Micro$oft will win.

Back in the 1.3/2.0 kernel days I compiled my own kernels and had
fairly mixed results.  I was running pretty bleeding edge hardware
then (dual 200Mhz pentium pros), and probably 1 in 5 kernel revisions
didn't work quite right for me.

Since then, I haven't deviated from distro releases.  There's a reason
that we have them, and not just a kernel with separate userland - none
of the BSD's or any other commerical unixes do it the linux way.

Is there a reason you're upgrading?

- Zack