[Tfug] Network connectors

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 02:10:24 MST 2010

Hi,

Being crunched for space, I've opted to use a magjack
for network connector.  Optionally, these can come
with one or two LED indicators (further, one of the
indicators can be "bi-color").

Besides costing a few extra pennies <grin> the indicators
use power.  Sure, not much -- about a tenth of a watt -- but
when you're only using a watt or two for the device itself,
an extra 0.1 W is 5-10% *extra*.

First, thinking about what indicators typically are used for:
- link established
- collision
- speed

I figure collision is ridiculous in a switched FDX network.

I imagine the LINK indicator is something worthwhile as
you don't want to have to walk back to the switch (to check
*it's* indicators) just to verify that the cable is connected.

But, is speed really important enough that you need to have
an indicator on *both* ends of the cable?  I mean, you typically
*know* the capabilities of your switch.  Do you need to have an
indicator on both ends of the wire just in case you *forgot*??
Recall, there is nothing you can do on *my* end of the cable to
change the speed (no switches to throw, etc.).

And, once the cable is plugged in, do you ever really look
at these indicators again?  (remember the above comments!)
I.e., is it sufficient to illuminate the indicator(s) for 5
seconds (?) immediately on inserting the network cable and
then power them down thereafter?  Or, flash them at some
very slow rate (otherwise, you would have to unplug the
network cable *just* to get the indicator to light up
again on reinsertion).

Is there a standard color scheme for the indicators?  It
seems like LINK is typically yellow?  But, I see a few
different choices for the speed indicator...

Finally, is there something *more* informative that these
indicators could be used for?

(Obviously, I am on a campaign to get rid of the indicators  :> )

Thanks!
--don