[Tfug] OT: Cell phones

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 18:04:24 MST 2010

[apologies if multiple posts appear... yahoo is wonked today]

Hi,

I don't own/use a cell phone (I'll be damned if I am going to
give people a way to pester me *regardless* of my location!  :> ).

I'm trying to "decipher" my BinL's cell phone records.
(Hint:  don't cheat on your wife and leave a written trail
in your credit card, checking and telephone transactions!  :> )

This is a Verizon account.

I can understand date, time, etc.  And I assume "rate" refers to
how he is charged for the call (peak hours, off-peak, etc.)

My first gotcha is "Usage type".  I see things like:
- PlanAllow
- PlanAllow, CallVM
- IN Allow
- IN Allow, CallWait
- N&W
- N&W,CallVM
- N&W,PlanAllow,Span

My *guesses* for some of these are:
- IN ...
"In Network"?
- ...Plan Allow...
covered in "basic monthly premium"?
- ...Span
call spans a rate change time (i.e. started at one and ended in another)
- PlanAllow, CallVM
check his voice mail?  the "phone number" is always the same
- ... Call Wait
another call while he was on the phone with an earlier call

So, I guess I just don't know what "N&W" might mean (though it
probably isn't that important)

Next, the "Destination" appears to describe where the call was
routed *to* for calls that he originated.  I.e., the exchange
referenced in the number called would coincide with this (?).
Is this always the case?  i.e., what if he is calling another
cell phone -- does the destination reflect the current location
of the receiver?

For these outgoing calls, I assume the "Origination" indicates
his location at the time he placed the call.  I.e., if he is
supposed to be at work at a particular time of day, this is a
way of telling when he is *not* at work!

Likewise, for destinations of "Incoming CL" (what does CL mean?),
I assume the phone number reflects that of the party *calling*
him.  And, the "Origination" reflects where he was when he
*received* the call?  I.e., origination is a misnomer (?)

Sorry if this is *too* far OT.  But, it should be consolation to
those tech-savvy of you that there still *are* some luddites here!  :>

For any of you unlucky enough to be going through something
like this, I can offer pointers on how to extract information
from records that you (jointly) share (conversely, which
records you really want to destroy *before* heading into a
divorce!  :< )

(sigh)  It is sad to peer into someone's life in this much detail.
Especially someone you care about (my sister, that is... my BinL
can rot in Hell!)

--don