[Tfug] Failed drive == power problem?

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Sun Jan 3 19:31:31 MST 2010

Claude Rubinson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 04:19:54PM -0700, Jordan Aberle wrote:
>
>> The controller board on the drive could be bad, I have switched them out on
>> standard size drives, never tried on a laptop drive though.  If you have
>> another spare laptop drive around try switching that board out, the boards
>> do need to be identical of course.
>>

> I was able to recover all of my data, so it's not necessary.  I've
> already disposed of the old drive.

I have seen this for example on laptops.  When plugged into AC power the
laptop was happy to over feed the 5V USB bus a bit more then the 500ma

When on battery, the laptop kept the current to the spec (or lower...).

Many USB external drive cases for 2.5" drives will have two USB plugs on
the end, one as a power vampire, the other power and data.

A powered USB hub will work around this issue most of the time.

                            Harry